September 19, 2008

Applied Physics (Grade - F)

Today started with a litte refresher course for me on voltage conversion. As we knew before the trip- MUST purchase a dual voltage hair dryer to use in Europe. Well I had a "Jessica Simpson" moment (as Meli and I like to call it) and thought I had to set the hairdryer on the lower voltage of 125 instead of the higher voltage of 250. It became clear when I increased the resistance by moving to a higher speed that my High School Physics background failed me. OOPS!! I may have blown out my hairdryer and also the plug in the room... we are yet to know for sure. Kevin had to call the front desk and try to communicate that our power went out and we needed them to check the breaker switch. It was fixed and after the guy came to make sure it was all working okay, we heard him let out a big sigh as if saying "oh crazy Americans!" It was all too funny. Kevin failed to find as much humor in it as me though (He does now!). I told him to lighten up!

After that little fiasco we had a nice breakfast; the staple around here- coffee and french bread/croissants. We then headed out to tackle the Metro and make our way to the Musee d'Orsay to check out LOTS of art! About 1.5 hours is all we could take before having brain overload so we found a little cafe and had some lunch. Without much else planned we decided to just walk and try to find Fauchon a high end gourmet shop with lots of wine, pate, chocolate, meats etc. Fun to look around, but way to pricey to actually buy something there. I was thinking of getting some gifts to bring home but then decided I couldn't spend close to 100 bucks on some little chocolate truffles. Sorry!! I'll still find some good chocolates to bring home! I promise! ;-)
We stopped to relax in a park and also walked around the gardens surrounding the Louvre. Lots of people watching, which is always excellent. Kev has had a blast taking many pics trying to teach himself how to be a pro photographer. Marty has expressed her worry that if he is not careful he may miss out on seeing it all in person by hiding behind the lens. haha!

Tonight we are going to check out the Eiffel Tower after dinner. We've been wanting to see it all lit up and hopefully get to the top to see all the city lights. I think we'll have to for sure check it out during the day too!
Until tomorrow! Au Revoir!

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ok so that didn't work...I was trying to change my comment, but ended up deleting it! I guess we are sisters!!! :)
Sounds like you four are having lots of fun!

John said...

Nice pic of you two, very paparazzi. And you look thrilled.

SomethingSmarter said...

Is the jet-lag kicking in? Mmmm .. chocolate truffles, sounds yummy. More photos, please :)

Kevin and Lora said...

Hairdryer works this morning, grade changed to a passing grade of C-.

Jet-lag was never too bad. Pics are being taken but you'll have to wait until we are home to see more.

John, we are deep in thought :-)